We knew that Rodrigo Do Vale (read more about him here) was an amazing chef, but having him teach us this magic dish was on another level. If you have not watched the IGTV video, make sure you do - it was full of tips and tricks that will help with making this meal AMAZING!
Let's start with a fun fact:
Did you know that snapper is considered brain food because of all the healthy nutrients in it, such as Vitamin A, selenium, Omega-3 fatty acids and potassium? Consuming stimulates the cognitive functions and boosts the health of the nervous system - we sure need that 🧠
Get ready to create this delicious dish for your family, friends or just to impress a loved one. This will also be a winner on your next dinner party menu (soon to be had🤞).
1.6 kg Whole snapper, scaled
1/2 cup of coriander, for garnish
lime cheeks, to serve
80 ml extra virgin olive oil
3 French shallots, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 🧄
2 mild chillies, sliced 🌶️
coriander stalks, finely chopped
100 g cherry tomatoes 🍅
6 kaffir lime leaves, stalks removed and thinly sliced
100 ml oyster sauce
50 mil hoisin sauce
2 bok choy, washed and cut into quarters
3 choy sum, washed and sliced on an angle
200 g cooked blue swimmer crabmeat 🦀
Vegetables 1. Heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, shallot, garlic, chilli and coriander stars for two minutes without browning
2. Add tomatoes, lime leaves and cook for 3-4 more minutes
3. Add oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and 200 ml water and bring to boil
4. Put the bok choy and choy sum to a saucepan of simmering water and cook for 1 min, then drain
5. Add the greens to the mixture along with the crabmeat, toss together and season (if needed)
6. Take the vegetable mixture of the heat
7.Preheat the over to 180oC
8. Place the fish on a large tray and put the bok choy and tomato mixtures with the sauce on top of the fish
9. Bake the fish for 15-20 minutes
10. Check if the fish is ready by inserting a knife in the middle to see if the flesh is white or as Rodrigo suggest, you can check the bone behind the had, if it comes off easily your fish is cooked
11. When the fish is done, remove from the over and rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a large serving platter
12. Garnish with the coriander and serve with lime cheeks
P.S. You can also add boiled rice as side dish.
Snapper is a delicate fish, and though we add some stronger flavors, you'll be best off with a fairly neutral but crisp white.